Understanding Federal Income Taxes
Location: 455 County Center – Room 101, Redwood City, CA 94063
Gain a better understanding of key provisions of the current tax law through relevant, real-life illustrations, and workbook exercises. Participants will learn the tax implications affecting retirement, investments, homes, charitable giving, education, and dependents.
- Review the income and capital gains tax rates currently in effect
- Figure taxes using both regular and AMT (alternative minimum tax) calculations
- Navigate clearly through the estimated tax rules
- Identify essential tax planning terms
- Define the contribution and “catch-up” limits for your employer retirement plan
- Distinguish between a Traditional IRA and the Roth IRA
- Determine how investment income from stocks, bonds, and mutual funds is taxed
- Examine the wash sale rule
- Understand IRS home loan interest deduction rules
- Discover what records must be kept to back-up charitable donations
- Distinguish between tax credits and student loan interest deductions for education
- Examine tax credits for children and dependents
Louise Wen, CFP® has always had a passion for helping others understand complex financial topics. Before joining Financial Knowledge in 2014, she helped clients improve their finances through financial literacy classes as well as private coaching at non-profits and community organizations.
How to Register:
County Employees: Register on LMS via OKTA. This class can count toward your annual 20-hour training target!
Court, Mosquito District & Library Employees: Register on LMS here. If you do not have access or experience any issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and date of the class that you would like to attend.